Chiara Rossi and Fahimeh are currently presenting at BIOMAG 2022 Birmingham. Chiara is presenting on different preprocessing algorithms to assess event related fields ((1.86 MB) "pdf" ) and Fahimeh is presenting on her work providing a proof-of-concept of the 1/f rollof as biomarker of excitation/inhibition ratio in MS patients ((3.38 MB) "pdf" ).
We are very happy that AIMS will be present at OHBM 2022 in Glasgow! We are even happier that Chiara Rossi 's abstract on dynamic brain states during working memory has been accepted for an oral presentation! After the conference, we will upload her presentation here, but you can already have a look at her poster (1.88 MB) "pdf"
Also at HBM, Chiara will present her work on how multiple sclerosis affects the brain dynamics during the n-back task, you can check her poster here: (1.67 MB) "pdf"
At IMSCOGS 2022, the AIMS lab will present the following results:
We are very happy that Stijn will be able to present his work on Brain age as a surrogate marker of cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis. If you want to re-digest all the information, you can read his preprint or check out his poster! (7.59 MB) "pdf"
Stijn will further elaborate this work via federated learning (i.e. your data remains at your site); please feel free to reach out if you are interested!
We are also very happy to discuss the following research results through the poster session!
- If you want to know why you should always correct fMRI analyses for data quality when assessed in multiple sclerosis patients, check out Johan's work with this poster and this publication in Scientific Reports (1.88 MB) "pdf"
- On the value of neurophysiological biomarkers in addition to traditional markers of brain atrophy to detect cognitive impairment, please see (8.17 MB) "pdf"
- A novel biomarker with a great potential to unravel the inner workings of the brain is the excitation/inhibition balance, Fahimeh Akbarian will explain how this brainmarker is associated with fatigue, one of the most important symptoms in MS: (546.65 KB) "pdf"
- if you want to assess the potential value of brain network organisation (assessed through resting-state EEG) to assess cognitive impairment in MS, check out Frederik's poster: (949.19 KB) "pdf"
- Interested in how to move from a clinical examination of cognitive impairment to a digital one that will enable telemonitoring, check out Delphine's poster: (1.03 MB) "pdf"
- Finally, we show that inter- and interhemispheric connectivity during an auditory oddball task (MEG) provide a promising biomarker for cognitive evolution in MS. Guy Nagels will be presenting his results during the poster session: (10.99 MB) "pdf"
List of selected publications prior to June 2020
A selected list of publications from the cognition and modelling group prior to June 2020 can be found below.
Spatiotemporal and spectral dynamics of multi-item working memory as revealed by the n-back task using MEG.
Costers, L., Van Schependom, J., Laton, J., Baijot, J., Sjøgård, M., Wens, V., ... & Woolrich, M. (2020). Spatiotemporal and spectral dynamics of multi-item working memory as revealed by the n-back task using MEG. Human brain mapping. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32180307
Detecting neurodegenerative pathology in multiple sclerosis before irreversible brain tissue loss sets in.
Van Schependom J, Guldolf K, D'hooghe MB, Nagels G, D'haeseleer M.Transl Neurodegener. 2019 Dec 9;8:37. doi: 10.1186/s40035-019-0178-4. eCollection 2019.
Denissen S, De Cock A, Meurrens T, Vleugels L, Van Remoortel A, Gebara B, D'Haeseleer M, D'Hooghe MB, Van Schependom J, Nagels G.J Cent Nerv Syst Dis. 2019 Nov 6;11:1179573519884041. doi: 10.1177/1179573519884041. eCollection 2019.
Van Schependom, J., Vidaurre, D., Costers, L., Sjøgård, M., D'hooghe, M. B., D'haeseleer, M., ... & Nagels, G. (2019). Altered transient brain dynamics in multiple sclerosis: Treatment or pathology?. Human brain mapping, 40(16), 4789-4800. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31361073
Sjøgård M, De Tiège X, Mary A, Peigneux P, Goldman S, Nagels G, van Schependom J, Quinn AJ, Woolrich MW, Wens V.Neuroimage. 2019 Oct 15;200:221-230. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2019.06.052. Epub 2019 Jun 22.PMID: 31238165
Van Schependom J, Niemantsverdriet E, Smeets D, Engelborghs S.Neuroimage Clin. 2018 May 19;19:516-526. doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2018.05.018. eCollection 2018.
Does including the full CVLT-II and BVMT-R improve BICAMS? Evidence from a Belgian (Dutch) validation study.
Costers, L., Gielen, J., Eelen, P. L., Van Schependom, J., Laton, J., Van Remoortel, A., ... & D’Haeseleer, M. (2017). Does including the full CVLT-II and BVMT-R improve BICAMS? Evidence from a Belgian (Dutch) validation study. Multiple sclerosis and related disorders, 18, 33-40. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221103481730202X
The effect of task modality and stimulus frequency in paced serial addition tests on functional brain activity.
Gielen J, Wiels W, Van Schependom J, Laton J, Van Hecke W, Parizel PM, D'hooghe MB, Nagels G.PLoS One. 2018 Mar 15;13(3):e0194388. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0194388. eCollection 2018.
Van Schependom J, Nagels G.Front Neurosci. 2017 Jun 30;11:380. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00380. eCollection 2017.
EEG Dominant Frequency Peak Differentiates Between Alzheimer's Disease and Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration.
Goossens J, Laton J, Van Schependom J, Gielen J, Struyfs H, Van Mossevelde S, Van den Bossche T, Goeman J, De Deyn PP, Sieben A, Martin JJ, Van Broeckhoven C, van der Zee J, Engelborghs S, Nagels G.
Van Schependom J, Jain S, Cambron M, Vanbinst AM, De Mey J, Smeets D, Nagels G.Neuroimage Clin. 2016 Oct 15;12:825-831. doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2016.10.012. eCollection 2016.
Van Schependom J, Gielen J, Laton J, Nagels G.Mult Scler. 2016 Mar;22(3):389-92. doi: 10.1177/1352458515596458. Epub 2015 Jul 21.PMID: 26199353
27/04/2021 - Lars Costers. An MEG investigation into working memory impairment in MS
24/09/2018 - Jeroen Gielen - MRI measures in the assessment of cognitive function in MS
18/09/2017 - Jorne Laton - Machine learning techniques to improve the value of neurophysiological measurements for individual patients
05/05/2015 - Jeroen Van Schependom - Cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis